What the book is about
Local authorities play a major role in Irish life. The introduction of the management system in 1929 represented a new and innovative approach to how local authorities were run.
In City and County Management in Ireland, 1929-2020, contributions by renowned academics and practitioners describe the origins and development of the management system and its role in local and national development.
The volume also includes brief career profiles of those who have held the offices of city/county manager, and more recently the office of chief executive. These profiles give a fascinating glimpse of the men and women who have been attracted to the service.
A chronology highlights developments in local government over the period examined, while a bibliography provides an overview of selected literature available on local government in Ireland.
This work will be of particular interest to those who wish to understand how the management system in local government in Ireland has evolved, and to researchers and students with an interest in local government.
List of Contributors
List of Abbreviations
Foreword – Tim Lucey Chairperson
Preface – Francis Feely
1. Ninety Years of City and County Management – Eunan O’Halpin
2. The Impact of Economic Development on Local Authority Decision-Making and the Council–Manager Partnership – Thomas Rice
3. How My Father Bought the Cliffs of Moher – Rosita Boland
4. The Management System and Local and National Development – Mark Callanan and Laura Shannon
5. Ireland in a Comparative Context: Are Hybrid Models the Future? – Aodh Quinlivan and Colin Copus
6. City and County Managers and Chief Executives: Succession List 1929–2020
7. A Brief Analysis of the Profiles of City and County Managers and Chief Executives – Richard Boyle and Fergal O’Leary
8. City and County Managers’ and Chief Executives’ Career Profiles 1929–2020 – Joseph Boland, James O’Donnell and Fergal O’Leary
9. A Chronology of Local Government 1918–2020 – Joseph Boland, Eunan O’Halpin and Richard Boyle
10. A Selective Bibliography of Local Government in Ireland – Richard Boyle 222
Appendix: CCMA Chairpersons 1943–2020