Position: Senior Governance Specialist
Telephone: 00 353 1 240 3685
Noreen is a Senior Governance Specialist with the IPA with responsibility for audit and assurance systems including finance. Noreen joined the institute in 2004 as a Finance Specialist and in 2007, Noreen moved into a Senior Specialist role, which places a greater emphasis on consultancy and advisory services, involving specific consultancy, training and development programmes designed to meet individual client needs. As part of the governance delivery team she has worked with organisations across the public sector on Audit Committee advisory projects, Board Evaluation and Risk Management projects. She is a regular contributor to the Governance Forum at the IPA.
In recognition of her governance expertise, she has been nominated to a range of governance roles and is currently the Chairperson of Fingal County Council Audit Committee, Chairperson of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission Audit & Risk Committee, a non-executive member of the Department of Defence Audit Committee and Houses of the Oireachtas Audit Committee. Noreen also has experience in Board Secretarial roles for Public Bodies.
Specific Areas of Expertise
- Internal Audit, Audit and Governance
- Risk Management
- Audit Committees
- Evaluation of Board and Sub Committee Effectiveness
- Government, Semi-State and Not-for-Profit Accounting and Finance
Noreen qualified as an accountant with the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and worked for several years as a professional accountant in the private sector. Following that, Noreen began her career in lecturing on professional accountancy programmes both nationally and internationally.
Specific Relevant Experience
Noreen’s background and training as an accountant in the commercial sector, coupled with over 19 years’ experience in the training and education sector, contributes significantly to the success of her client work. Examples of projects are:
- Risk Management development in several local authorities and An Garda Siochána
- Facilitation and development work with the Audit Committees of many State Bodies and Government Departments
- Evaluation of the Internal Audit and Audit Committee functions in State Agencies
- External Advisor to the Audit Committee of the SAOLTA Hospital Group
- Continuing Professional Development programmes for public sector professional accountants
- Director of CIPFA accredited Certificate in Audit Skills and the IPA Introduction to Internal Audit
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA)
- Associate of Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (ACMA) and Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Post-Graduate Diploma (Hons) in the management and application of Information Technology in Accounting (DCU)