Position: Senior Finance Specialist
Telephone: 087 441 0523
Deirdre is a Senior Finance Specialist in the IPA Governance Team, delivering training and consultancy services to various public, state, and semi-state bodies, charities, boards, and not-for-profit organisations with specific areas of experience and expertise across Governance and Financial Management. Previous to her position at the IPA, Deirdre was an experienced lecturer in Finance, teaching across disciplines (finance, statistics, economics, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation) at all education levels (undergraduate to postgraduate).
Deirdre spent ten years in the United States, working in the financial services sector producing industry and stock-specific equity research reports (Credit Suisse First Boston) and fixed income portfolio management (Sanford C. Bernstein and Co.) services for institutional clients. In addition, she worked for an independent consulting practice performing economic impact analysis studies, economic development planning, social research and analysis, and providing strategic planning services to government (LMDC, DoITT), non-profit, education (Columbia University, State University of New York Downstate) and corporate clients (Carnival Corporation, New York Waterways). Deirdre was also the project manager of an independently produced Public Broadcast Service (PBS) documentary, which told how a simple but revolutionary technology (shipping containers) and the subsequent automation forever changed a centuries-old way of work and the lives of the longshoremen forever.
At the IPA, Deirdre has been involved in key projects relating to corporate governance, risk management, and finance, including the Public Spending Code. Specific areas of experience and expertise include Strategic Financial Management, Contemporary Issues in Finance, Risk/Asset Management, Governance, and Economic Development.
PhD in Entrepreneurship, Munster Technological University (2011).
Accounting and Finance
• Chartered Public Finance Accountant, CIPFA (Active)
• Fellow of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants, ACCA (active).
• MSc in Professional Accountancy, University of London (2017).
• NASD, NYSE (USA), Series 7, and 63 Broker/Dealer Registration (1998).
Digital and Data
• Post Graduate Certificate in Applied Statistics, TU Dublin, 2022
• Certificate in Data Analysis for Management, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) (2021)
• Professional Diploma (Level 9) in Data and Analytics in Financial Services, University College Dublin (2020).
• MA in Digital Arts and Humanities (2014).
• Certificate in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (2021), ACCA
• MA in Public Administration University of Limerick (2005).
Publications and Conferences (Academic and Commercial)
- Sheerin, C., Darcy, M., and Bane, D. (2019) Career Aspirations and Expectations of the Investment Management Profession: A Gendered Perspective” In: Irish Accounting and Finance Association Conference 2019. 16-17 May. Dublin City Business School, Dublin.
- Maycock, Keith, Lambert, Jonathan and Bane, Deirdre (2018) "Flipping learning, not just content: A 4-year action research study investigating the appropriate level of flipped learning". Journal of Computer Assisted Learning. ISSN 1365-2729. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12274
- Bane, Deirdre and Lambert Jonathan (2018) “Facebook Quarterly Earnings – Exploring Soft Information through Tone Analysis”. In: Irish Academy of Management Conference, 3-5 September. Cork University Business School, University College Cork, Cork.
- Sheerin, Corina and Bane, Deirdre (2017) "Political Narrative and Personality Traits - Trumped from the Start?" In: 20th Annual Irish Academy of Management Conference, 30th August - 1st September. Queen’s Management School, Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast.
- Bane, Deirdre (2017) “Financial Storytelling: Breaking through the Noise in the Marketplace”. In: 9th International Critical Finance Studies Conference. 3-5 August. University of Leicester, England.
- Bane, Deirdre (2017) “Civic Engagement in Dublin Docklands: Considerations for National College of Ireland”. In: University-Industry Interaction International Conference 2017. 7-9 June. Dublin, Ireland.
- Bane, Deirdre (2016) “‘Big Data’ in the Arts and Humanities – connecting stories and ideas to financial opportunities in Stock Message Boards”. In: Social Study of IT Open Research Forum, London School of Economics. 3 May 2016. London.
- Bane, Deirdre (2015) “The Digital Arts and Humanities and Entrepreneurship Education”. In: University- Industry Interaction International Conference. 24- 26 June. Berlin, Germany.
- Bane, Deirdre (2014) “Pedagogy in Irish Tertiary Education: A Myth or Model?”. In: Irish Learning Technology Association (2014) Eurovision 2020: Technology Enhanced Learning for a New Horizon, UCD, 29-30 May. University College Dublin, Dublin Ireland.
- Bane, Deirdre (2014) “Digital Pedagogy in Irish Tertiary Education: Issues for the Humanities”. In: Bookends, University College Cork. 25th of April 2014.
- Bane, Deirdre and O’Neill (2012) “New Foundations for Economic Growth: Tulane University a Template for Creating an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem?” In: Conference on Entrepreneurial Universities. 25-27 April, 2012. Münster, Germany.
- Bane, Deirdre and McGovern, Philip (2011) “Government Intervention: Top Down or Bottom Up?”. In: Irish Academy of Management Conference 2011, 31st August -2nd September. National College of Ireland, Dublin.
- Bane, D. (2011) “Íompar Logistics”, a case study in Hegarty, C (2011) Irish Case Studies in Entrepreneurship, Oak Tree Press, Dublin, Ireland.
- Bane, Deirdre (2007) “Knowledge-Based Enterprise in Ireland: Observations on Potential Growth Impediments”. In: Shannon Consortium Postgraduate Conference 2007.
- Bane, Deirdre and Rigg, Clare (2006) “Policies for stimulating knowledge-based tart-ups/microenterprises in rural Ireland”. In: Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference (2006), International Entrepreneurship – from local to global enterprise creation and development. 31st of October – 2nd of November, Cardiff-Caerdydd, UK.
- Bane, Deirdre and Rigg, Clare (2006) “Rural microbusiness transition to SMEs - challenges for Irish policymakers”. In: 29th Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship Conference, International Entrepreneurship – from local to global enterprise creation and development. 31st of October – 2nd of November. Cardiff-Caerdydd, UK.
- Appleseed (2004) “Telecommunications and Economic Development in New York City: A Plan for Action”, Management Report: Economic Development Corporation (EDC), the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT) and the Department of Small Business Services (SBS), U.S.A.
- Appleseed (2003) “Economic Impact of Redeveloping The World Trade Center Site: New York City, New York State, And the New York-New Jersey Area”. Management Report: Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, New York, U.S.A.
- Appleseed (2002) “Nepperhan Valley Study”. Management Report: Yonkers Industrial Development Agency, Yonkers, New York State, U.S.A.
- Appleseed (2001) “Downstate Advanced Biotechnology Incubator”. Management Report: State University of New York Downstate Technology Centre, Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
- Julian W.A., Sims B. and Bane D. (2000) “Hardline Retail Overview”, Credit Suisse First Boston, New York, U.S.A.
- Julian W.A., and Bane D. (2000) “Lowe’s 4Q Results, 2000”, Credit Suisse First Boston New York, U.S.A.
- Julian W.A., and Bane D. (2000) “Home Depot 2Q2000”, Credit Suisse First Boston, New York, U.S.A.
- O’Neill H., Bane D., and Fefer A. (1996) “Columbia University’s Contribution to the New York City Economy”, Appleseed Inc., New York, U.S.A.
- Appleseed (1995) “Real Places and Virtual Money: The Effect of Technological Change on the Location of Activity in America’s Financial Services Industries”. Management Report Office of Technology, U.S.A.