Background to IPA Pensions Forum for Non-commercial Semi-state and Related Bodies
In 2005 the Institute of Public Administration (IPA) established a Members only Pensions Forum exclusively for non-commercial Semi State & related Bodies and Agencies. This initiative responded directly to some of the needs of the relevant Bodies, resulting from an analysis of questionnaires completed by representatives of these Bodies at a Seminar organised by the IPA on May 31st 2005.
What this Forum Includes
- Invitations to two relevant pensions seminars each year in May and November
- A co-ordinated approach to keeping pensions administrators in touch with new developments in public service pensions
- An opportunity for informed discussion of pertinent pensions issues and interaction with other pensions administrators through bi-annual seminars
- Access through the IPA website to background pensions material and supporting documentation, e.g. Circular Letters etc.
- Assistance with the roll-out of the detail of the Pensions Reforms agreed by the Government in late 2004.
What this Forum Excludes
- It does not directly engage in the resolution of individual cases
- It does not purport to provide hands-on-expert assistance or to provide an on-line help service
- It is not a substitute for existing pensions administration resourcing.
Details of Service Available to Forum Members
Factsheets are published at the end of each quarter which
- Provide an update on public service pension developments in the previous three months, particularly addressing any new Department of Finance circulars and their impact on schemes
- Focus on any issues of interest that have arisen in the course of the previous year
- May include a case study or case studies of interest, e.g. Family law Acts, Professional Added Years, Purchase of Notional Service etc.
These Seminars provide a forum for Semi-State Bodies and Agencies to discuss common issues/problems associated with public service pensions administration and to develop/strengthen links between bodies.
IPA Pensions Webpage
A password controlled webpage has been established and maintained within the existing IPA website which allows Forum members access to all relevant documentation.
- Contains Department of Finance circulars dealing with recent developments in the field of Public Sector Pensions, together with electronic versions of the Factsheets mentioned above
- Acts as a catalyst for ensuring the relevance of the topics covered at the Seminars as Forum members are invited to submit queries of a general (rather than specific) nature which may be worthy of discussion. The final decision on topics for inclusion in the Seminars reflects the majority interest and extent of relevance/impact on the Forum membership as a whole
- Provides notification of dates of events
- Provides a written summary of all issues discussed at the Seminars.
Membership of this Forum provides enhanced opportunities for pensions administrators to establish links with and discuss pertinent pensions issues with peers in other relevant organisations. This on-going opportunity for open communication provides possibilities for the strengthening of links between Forum members.
The forum membership fee is €1,500 per annum and the membership year starts on May 1st. Forum membership allows one person from each organisation to attend events included in the annual fee. Additional staff are welcome to attend the seminars for a fee of €175 per person per event.
Service Providers and Facilitators
The specialist expertise for this Pensions Forum is provided by Damian Smyth, Pensions Advisor, Public Authority Pension Services Ltd. (formerly Assistant Principal Officer, Superannuation Section, Dept. of Environment, Community & Local Government.)
The Forum is managed by Dr Nicolas Marcoux, Senior Governance Specialist, IPA.
Interested to become a member? Download a membership form from Pensions Forum website.
Intending members can also contact the Pensions Forum Manager, Dr Nicolas Marcoux for an electronic membership form.
Dr Nicolas Marcoux, Senior Governance Specialist
Institute of Public Administration | 57-61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin 4 | D04 TC62
Tel: 353 (0)1 240 3600 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org