Position: Assistant Local Government Specialist
Telephone: 00 353 1 240 3600
Cian has been working with the IPA since January 2020, as an Assistant Local Government Specialist. He delivers training on the IPA’s local government and housing-related courses and manages the Local Government Unit’s training portfolio. Cian also lectures on the accredited Certificate in Housing Studies and has carried out a number of reviews in areas such as local authorities’ policy and practice and sectoral reviews of voluntary bodies. Cian is also the administrator of the IPA Housing Forum, an initiative of the Institute of Public Administration in conjunction with the Housing Agency to create a platform from which persons working in housing can build their knowledge about what is happening in the sector.
Cian previously worked in local government, in the Planning Section at Cork City Council and prior to that was involved in EU funding consultancy. Cian completed his undergraduate degree in History and Politics at University College Cork (UCC) and went on to complete a Higher Diploma in German and an MA in International Relations at UCC also. Specific areas of Cian’s expertise include local government policy and practice; housing policy and learning and development design.
- Working extensively in the design, delivery and adaptation of training courses to online delivery
- Design and delivery of the Social Housing Fundamentals online training course
- Managing associates to deliver bespoke courses to meet client needs on behalf of the IPA
- Representing the IPA at the Housing Agency Conference, speaking on education and training opportunities for housing practitioners
- Assisting in governance reviews of local authorities
- Carrying out a review of Fingal County Council’s Burial Ground Bye-Laws
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative research including a review of governance standards in the Approved Housing Body Sector on behalf of the ICSH.
- MA in International Relations
- HDip in German
- BA History and Politics
- CIPD Diploma in Learning and Development
- Diploma in Local Government Studies
- Professional Diploma in Housing Studies